On your road to recovery (referring to the process of changing your old, junk eating lifestyle to your new, clean eating lifestyle), understanding all forms of healthy living can be helpful. Many of our articles focus on clean eating and dieting the correct way, especially when it comes to breakfast. I mean, who doesn’t like eating breakfast? Taking advantage of super foods during breakfast hours will pack in big benefits for your overall health. Oh, and I’m sure your body will thank you when you hit the mid age to 60 mark. And you can thank me later :)
First understand what a super food actually is: Super foods are defined as those foods that are so nutrient-rich that they can help fight aging and illness. They have high amounts of flavonoids and micro and macro nutrients while being low in calories. These are the foods that will boost a person’s immune system and help him or her fight everything from the flu to aging. Foods given this title are usually based on solid research and should be considered seriously for almost anyone’s diet. (WiseGeek.org)
One particular celebrity lives only a super food eating lifestyle (and we wonder how she stays so lean and in shape) is our girl, the beautiful Mrs. Jada Pinkett Smith. So ahem, take notes!
Here’s a list of breakfast super foods that you probably already include in your lifestyle, but if you don’t, now you know!
- Bananas: easy and on-the-go. Rich in fiber, Vitamin C, and potassium which is the best combination at controlling blood pressure.
- Berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries): packed with antioxidants, Vitamin C, fiber, and carry anti-cancer properties.
- Tea: One of my favorites throughout the day as it’s one of my therapies for writing. Green, black, and white tea hold immune-boosting and anti-flammatory properties, and protect against some cancers, diabetes, and heart conditions.
- Oatmeal/Yogurt: packed with dietary fiber — leaves you fuller and refreshed. It lowers cholesterol. The fun thing about oatmeal is that you can throw in any fruit as a topping! You know we love toppings.
- Grapefruit: packed with fiber, Vitamin C, and potassium.